The name Stroud Green signifies a wet, marshy place, overgrown with brushwood and liable to flooding. Stroud Green, near Highbury, was first mentioned in 1403 when it was no more than a number of farmsteads outside London on the low lying land of Tollington, in Islington, to the west of Brownswood in Hornsey.
Eleven HHS members and friends took part in an enjoyable walk round Stroud Green on October 30th, starting at Finsbury Park Station. The excellent weather gave us some splendid views from the vantage points of Finsbury Park and Mount View Road and the tour was enlivened by the reminiscences of several local members.
An advertisement from the Hornsey Journal, 6th December 1918
Messrs Harvey and Shillingford
Crouch End, Hornsey and Stroud Green
Our firm has a small but well assorted stock which show exceptionally good “war value”. The coming Christmas promises to be a truly happy one, for the burden which has been hanging over us for the last four years has been removed.
The Parish of Holy Trinity was the fifth to be carved out of the original Anglican parish of St Mary, Hornsey, as the population grew. The first was St Michael, Highgate in 1832 and Holy Trinity was established in 1878 on the corner of Granville and Stapleton Hall Roads.
A 1972 series of Hornsey Journal articles by Ian Murray, first Chairman of Hornsey Historical Society and Haringey Council Archivist. The HHS gratefully acknowledges the kind permission of Archant/Ham and High for this reproduction.
Part of the southern boundary of Hornsey is neatly marked by the ridge of high ground, known as the Hog’s Back which stretches by way of Hornsey Lane and Mountview Road to Harringay West Station. South of this ridge lies Stroud Green and Finsbury Park which have always been within Hornsey parish. Until the end of the 19th century Hornsey extended even further south, as far as Mountgrove Road, leading into Green Lanes opposite Clissold Park.
This is the second of our Lockdown Galleries – a collection of images reflecting the affects of the lockdown on our area; from streets devoid of activity to public messages of hope and thanks, and the changing nature of business as we’ve adapted to life in lockdown.
We are hoping to add to our Lockdown Gallery of images with a collection of people’s written accounts of their experiences during the Lockdown period. In this way we hope to have a written as well as a visual record of these months.
We continue the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area with this important Stroud Green addition.
Stroud Green – A History and Five Walks is in a new format. The book describes the growth and development of Stroud Green from a wet and marshy wasteland in mediaeval times to the present-day cosmopolitan suburb.