This is the sixth in our series on Lost Houses of our area. This edited text was written by the late Albert Pinching, HHS Sales Manager for 21 years and editor for 14 years of our annual journal, the Bulletin, who died at the end of July this year. The full text was a chapter in People and Places: Lost Estates in Highgate, Hornsey and Wood Green’, published by HHS in 1996.
This is the fifth article in the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. This mid-19th century house and grounds was situated on Southwood Lane (now Muswell Hill Road N10) and is associated with the Victorian literary elite.
This is the fourth article in the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. It has been written by Alice Jenkins, a sixth form History student at Highgate Wood School, who has spent her summer holidays on work experience with the HHS Archive volunteers and who will shortly be applying to universities for admission in autumn 2022. HHS wishes her well.
We continue the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area with this important Stroud Green addition.
John Cathles Hill (1857 -1915) was, ‘a very remarkable man of immense energy and vision’. So wrote his grandson, JEB Hill, in May 1997, to Joan Schwitzer, HHS Chairman. JC Hill built up large parts of North London, founded The London Brick Company and became one of the richest men of his time. He lived at Southwood Hall from 1894 until 1905.
Henry Virtue Tebbs Jnr.(1833-1899) was the eldest son of Henry Virtue Tebbs and his second wife Emma. In true 19th century fashion he had been given his father’s name and followed his father’s profession as a Proctor and lawyer. Not surprisingly, this has led to much confusion. However, the son’s artistic interests set him apart from his father about whom we have learned already.
We have previously looked at Southwood Hall in Highgate as part of the Lost Houses series and reference was made to two important 19th century occupants, Henry Virtue Tebbs and John Cathles Hill. This article focuses on the life of HV Tebbs (1797–1876).
After the departure in 1905 of the last occupants, John Cathles Hill and family, the house became a girls’ school run by the Misses Rowe who moved to it from Sussex House, Bishopswood Road, Highgate. Their school was ‘for the daughters of Gentlemen’. Here are memories of the school published in early HHS Bulletins.
This is the second article in the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. This house has such interesting connections that a number of articles in the future will focus on its occupants and their connections.
This month we are starting a 2021 series of articles on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. We begin with Brick Place, the oldest known substantial house we know of, north-east of Hornsey village. It’s appropriate to start with Brick Place because the position of the moat which surrounded it can be clearly identified on the Hornsey Enclosure Map, 1815. David Frith’s book, The Hornsey Enclosure Act 1813, is a new HHS publication, and the moat can clearly be seen on the map on the front cover!