Below is the full list of names which appear on the 1914-18 Memorial Board at St Mary’s Church Tower, Hornsey.
Inside St Mary’s Tower in Hornsey High Street on the north wall of the ground floor room are four panels mounted as one memorial board listing the names of 136 men from Hornsey who died in the First World War. These were found in a skip! How was the mystery of their origin unravelled?
This booklet is a self guided walk around the church tower, the bell tower for the three successive parish churches and the only remaining building which has been conserved and watched over by the Friends of Hornsey Church Tower for the past 28 years.
This short account of the history of St Mary’s Church is well set out under sub-headings which aids the reader in understanding the complex development and demise of Hornsey’s three parish churches.
The author sets out short biographies of ten notable Victorians and their families and gives the location of their graves in the churchyard.
The tower was built as part of the medieval church of St Mary when Hornsey was a small rural village in Middlesex. The lower part of the tower is medieval, and was probably completed around 1500.
Today, all that remains of St Mary’s Church is its bell tower, standing in the former churchyard, a little back from Hornsey High Street. St Mary’s Tower is a focal point for the local community and a poignant reminder of the long history of this site as a place of worship.
By Eric Robinson
This illustrated booklet, written by an eminent local geologist, provides an informative account of the materials, design and features of St. Mary’s 18th and 19th century gravestones and tombs.
By Joan Schwitzer
This illustrated booklet gives a brief history of St. Mary’s Church and a conducted tour around the churchyard describing the tombs, gravestones and memorials of some of Hornsey’s famous former residents.
By Bridget Cherry
Ivy-Mantled Tower is a hard-back book with 138 pages and 202 illustrations, telling the compelling story of a succession of buildings from the medieval church with its bell tower (which still stands) to an 1833 church, followed by a late Victorian one which was demolished in 1969. But all has not been lost! The ancient tower has been rescued from dereliction thanks to the support of the Rectors of Hornsey and the diligent work of many volunteers.