Woodside House, Wood Green, What was there before?

In Memory of Albert Pinching, a much respected and valued HHS Sales Manager, member of the General and Publications Committees, author of numerous articles and writer of books, and editor of the HHS Bulletin for fourteen years, who passed away on 30th July. Albert wrote this article prior to Woodside House being renamed George Meehan House.

""
Woodside House, c.2018

Woodside House, a mid-Victorian edifice on the High Road, has been a municipal building for well over a hundred years. What function and name did the building have originally?

Read more

Crouch End Opera House

Crouch End Opera House on the right, Topsfield Parade, c.1900
Crouch End Opera House on the right, Topsfield Parade, c.1900

Crouch End, today, provides no obvious evidence that it was once the location of a theatre. You won’t see a huge auditorium that has been through various incarnations such as cinema, bingo hall, or space used for worship. The evidence is there though, at 31 Tottenham Lane nestled in amongst the shop units. The restored semi-circular glass window is recognisable from old images and a new glass canopy echoes the structure that previously covered the whole pavement.

Read more

John Cathles Hill of Southwood Hall

John Cathles Hill, c. 1896-97
John Cathles Hill, c. 1896-97

John Cathles Hill (1857 -1915) was, ‘a very remarkable man of immense energy and vision’. So wrote his grandson, JEB Hill, in May 1997, to Joan Schwitzer, HHS Chairman. JC Hill built up large parts of North London, founded The London Brick Company and became one of the richest men of his time. He lived at Southwood Hall from 1894 until 1905.

Read more

Lost Houses: Henry Virtue Tebbs of Southwood Hall

We have previously looked at Southwood Hall in Highgate as part of the Lost Houses series and reference was made to two important 19th century occupants, Henry Virtue Tebbs and John Cathles Hill.  This article focuses on the life of HV Tebbs (1797–1876).

""
Southwood Hall, Highgate

Read more

Southwood Hall School 1905–1930: Two Memories

After the departure in 1905 of the last occupants, John Cathles Hill and family, the house became a girls’ school run by the Misses Rowe who moved it from Sussex House, Bishopswood Road, Highgate. Their school was ‘for the daughters of Gentlemen’. Here are memories of the school published in early HHS Bulletins.  

The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall
The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall

Read more

Lost Houses: Southwood Hall, Highgate

This is the second article in the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. This house has such interesting connections that a number of articles in the future will focus on its occupants and their connections.

Southwood Hall, Highgate c.1890
Southwood Hall, Highgate c.1890

Read more

The 2021 HHS Bulletin

""

Bulletin 62 marked the 50th anniversary of the founding of the HHS in 1971, and while we could not celebrate the occasion as we had hoped, due to the pandemic, maybe this issue, with its special cover, afforded some consolation.

Read more

Lost Houses: Brick Place

This month we are starting a 2021 series of articles on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. We begin with Brick Place, the oldest known substantial house we know of, north-east of Hornsey village. It’s appropriate to start with Brick Place because the position of the moat which surrounded it can be clearly identified on the Hornsey Enclosure Map, 1815. David Frith’s book, The Hornsey Enclosure Act 1813, is a new HHS publication, and the moat can clearly be seen on the map on the front cover!

Hornsey Enclosure Map, 1813, Brick Place and moat are in plots 107 and 108, owned by Mr George Wright'
Hornsey Enclosure Map, 1813, Brick Place and moat are in plots 107 and 108, owned by Mr George Wright’

Read more

Memories of Grove Lodge when occupied by the Red Cross


Mention of Grove Lodge in the last Newsletter brought back memories to me. In 1948 I was a Red Cross Cadet and did voluntary duty there. At that time the Commandant was Mrs Blue when the house was a home for elderly ladies in need of full-time care.

Read more