Charlotte Cowdroy (1864-1932)

A Headmistress with Trenchant Educational Ideas

This is the second article in our 2022 series – Hornsey Personalities of the Past

Charlotte Cowdroy, 1864 - 1932
Charlotte Cowdroy, 1864 – 1932

Charlotte Cowdroy earned a national reputation for herself as headmistress of the school she owned – Crouch End High School and College (1900-1974), which educated girls between the ages of 6 and 16 with a few staying on a year or two longer. It took boarders also. Miss Cowdroy’s strong beliefs of how girls should be educated in the 20th century raise our eyebrows quizzically in the third decade of the 21st century.

Read more

Shaftesbury Hall in Bowes Park

Situated in Herbert Road N11, Shaftesbury Hall was registered in 1885 and became an Infants School in the early 1900s. It was still used by the Baptists in the late 1930s but closed in 1954. It is owned by the Samaritans and Hornsey Housing Trust who want to sell it and redevelop the site and put up a block of three one-bed flats.

Read more

Southwood Hall School 1905–1930: Two Memories

After the departure in 1905 of the last occupants, John Cathles Hill and family, the house became a girls’ school run by the Misses Rowe who moved to it from Sussex House, Bishopswood Road, Highgate. Their school was ‘for the daughters of Gentlemen’. Here are memories of the school published in early HHS Bulletins.  

The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall
The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall

Read more

WOOD GREEN SCHOOLS RE-OPENED

An article from the Bowes Park Weekly News, 5th January 1940

The six Wood Green elementary schools were re-opened on Tuesday on the terms recently reported, and in spite of wintry weather, the attendance of children was very good.

Read more