Lost Houses: Interesting Links to Southwood Hall, Highgate

Henry Virtue Tebbs Jnr.(1833-1899) was the eldest son of Henry Virtue Tebbs and his second wife Emma. In true 19th century fashion he had been given his father’s name and followed his father’s profession as a Proctor and lawyer.  Not surprisingly, this has led to much confusion. However, the son’s artistic interests set him apart from his father about whom we have learned already.

Read more

Hornsey in History: How Highgate Developed

A 1972 series of Hornsey Journal articles by Ian Murray, first Chairman of Hornsey Historical Society and Haringey Council Archivist. The HHS gratefully acknowledges the kind permission of Archant/Ham and High for this reproduction.

Cholmeley School and Highgate Chapel, c.1833, William West
Cholmeley School and Highgate Chapel, c.1833, William West

Although Highgate was the most important village by the late 17th century, and probably before, it lay only partly in Hornsey. Part of it lay in the parish of St Pancras, and as far as manorial structure is concerned, Highgate village was shared with the Manor of Cantelows, which also included Kentish Town, a sub manor of the Manor of St Pancras created in the late 13th century.

Read more

Lost Houses: Henry Virtue Tebbs of Southwood Hall

We have previously looked at Southwood Hall in Highgate as part of the Lost Houses series and reference was made to two important 19th century occupants, Henry Virtue Tebbs and John Cathles Hill.  This article focuses on the life of HV Tebbs (1797–1876).

""
Southwood Hall, Highgate

Read more

Hornsey in History: Hornsey in Tudor and Stuart Times

A 1972 series of Hornsey Journal articles by Ian Murray, first Chairman of Hornsey Historical Society and Haringey Council Archivist. The HHS gratefully acknowledges the kind permission of Archant/Ham and High for this reproduction.

Common land on Priory Road, April 2021
Common land on Priory Road, April 2021

From 1603 the court rolls of the Manor of Hornsey have fortunately been preserved. They tell us a great deal about the topography of the area – roads, fields, bridges, woods and so on – as well as about owners of property. As far as the population of the district is concerned, there is no really trustworthy source until the first census of 1801.

Read more

Southwood Hall School 1905–1930: Two Memories

After the departure in 1905 of the last occupants, John Cathles Hill and family, the house became a girls’ school run by the Misses Rowe who moved it from Sussex House, Bishopswood Road, Highgate. Their school was ‘for the daughters of Gentlemen’. Here are memories of the school published in early HHS Bulletins.  

The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall
The Tennis Lawn, Southwood Hall

Read more

Lost Houses: Southwood Hall, Highgate

This is the second article in the series on Lost Houses of the Hornsey area. This house has such interesting connections that a number of articles in the future will focus on its occupants and their connections.

Southwood Hall, Highgate c.1890
Southwood Hall, Highgate c.1890

Read more

Mayor marks 50th anniversary of the HHS

""
L-R Janet Owen, Sandra Clark, Cllr Adam Jogee, Cllr Elin Weston outside the Old Schoolhouse

The HHS hit the news stands last week when Haringey Mayor Cllr Adam Jogee and Councillor Elin Weston visited the Old Schoolhouse to mark the Society’s 50th anniversary.

Read more

THE LATE MR SAINSBURY

An article from the Hornsey Journal, 5 January 1928

The death occurred at his residence “Bishopsfield” Broadlands-road, Highgate on Tuesday of Mr John James Sainsbury, the founder of the well-known firm of provision merchants.

Read more

“Paul the Paper” leaves Crouch End

""
Paul Saxton

In a fast changing world, elements of stability and continuity are treasured.

Crouch End lost one of its favourite and most enduring landmarks at the end of February 2021 when Paul Saxton clicked the padlock of his kiosk for the last time.

Read more