Hornsey in History: Crowche Ende Hamlet

A 1972 series of Hornsey Journal articles by Ian Murray, first Chairman of Hornsey Historical Society and aHaringey Council Archivist. The HHS gratefully acknowledges the kind permission of Archant/Ham and High for this reproduction.

Where Crouch End now is, in 1878
Where Crouch End now is, in 1878

Crouch End is derived from an old English word meaning ‘cross’ and ‘end’ is obviously what it says, an end, boundary or limit. So, the name means the cross boundary. The cross refers either to cross roads as four roads have converged here for centuries, or to an actual cross for which there is some evidence.

Read more

Downstairs at the Kings Head

""
The Kings Head, Crouch End, 2021

On Thursday 19th August, Crouch End will see the return of a major part of its cultural life.  After a nearly eighteen month absence, Downstairs at the Kings Head, one of the oldest comedy clubs in the country, will reopen.

Read more

Woodside House, Wood Green, What was there before?

In Memory of Albert Pinching, a much respected and valued HHS Sales Manager, member of the General and Publications Committees, author of numerous articles and writer of books, and editor of the HHS Bulletin for fourteen years, who passed away on 30th July. Albert wrote this article prior to Woodside House being renamed George Meehan House.

""
Woodside House, c.2018

Woodside House, a mid-Victorian edifice on the High Road, has been a municipal building for well over a hundred years. What function and name did the building have originally?

Read more

Bounds Green Quiz

""
Durnsford Road Lido, c.1930s

How well do you know the history of Bounds Green? Test yourself in this short quiz.

Knights in Shining Armour – Alexandra Palace’s Two Sir Galahads

Commemorative tablet to Edwin Wilmot Sloper
Commemorative tablet to Edwin Wilmot Sloper

During the Covid pandemic thousands of people have walked along Alexandra Palace’s south terrace admiring the spectacular views of London. How many have noticed the two carved tablets either side of the Great Hall’s main entrance? Or realised that the Palace’s recent huge financial losses are a recurring theme of its 148 year history?

Read more

Crouch End Opera House

Crouch End Opera House on the right, Topsfield Parade, c.1900
Crouch End Opera House on the right, Topsfield Parade, c.1900

Crouch End, today, provides no obvious evidence that it was once the location of a theatre. You won’t see a huge auditorium that has been through various incarnations such as cinema, bingo hall, or space used for worship. The evidence is there though, at 31 Tottenham Lane nestled in amongst the shop units. The restored semi-circular glass window is recognisable from old images and a new glass canopy echoes the structure that previously covered the whole pavement.

Read more

John Cathles Hill of Southwood Hall

John Cathles Hill, c. 1896-97
John Cathles Hill, c. 1896-97

John Cathles Hill (1857 -1915) was, ‘a very remarkable man of immense energy and vision’. So wrote his grandson, JEB Hill, in May 1997, to Joan Schwitzer, HHS Chairman. JC Hill built up large parts of North London, founded The London Brick Company and became one of the richest men of his time. He lived at Southwood Hall from 1894 until 1905.

Read more