- This event has passed.
The History of Regent’s Canal
13th February 2019 @ 8:00 pm
Roger Squires will give an illustrated talk about the history of Regent’s Canal and provide a visual tour of the current waterway.
The Regent’s Canal received its Act of Parliament in 1811 . Construction started at Paddington (Little Venice) and got as far as Camden in 1815, when the money ran out. Works restarted in 1816, using Exchequer Loan Funds, with a further act, and it finally opened to Limehouse in August 1820. The Regent’s Canal Company subsequently amalgamated with the Grand Junction Canal Company and ultimately became part of the more extensive Grand Union Canal.
About Roger Squires
Dr Roger Squires is a trustee of the London Canal Museum at King’s Cross. He is also the Secretary of the local branch of the Inland Waterways and a member of St Pancras Cruising Club.
Doors open at 7.30pm for the sale of refreshments and publications and close at 8pm. The main doors have to be closed at that time for security reasons, so anyone arriving after then will be unable to gain access.
A donation of £2 is requested from non-members.