On Saturday 18th November at the London and Middlesex Archaeology Society’s annual local history conference, the HHS was awarded the LAMAS prestigious Publication Award for the Book of 2022 for “100 Stories from the Archive”.
This engraved book plate, 1827, drawn by Mr Shepherd, engraved by T Dale, is one of the 65 items in the Ruth Rogers Bequest. These almshouses are linked to a famous name. Dick Whittington, his cat and Highgate Hill are synonymous.
Clementina (Clemmie) May, the youngest child of Henry and Sarah Elder of Topsfield Hall, Crouch End, who married Frank May, Chief Cashier of the Bank of England in 1879, recalled her memories a few months before her death in 1942, aged 92.
This almshouse (called an asylum) is located just outside Hornsey Parish and is part of the late Hugh Garnsworthy’s postcard collection gifted to the Society.
Bulletin 64 emerges after another somewhat difficult year for the HHS. In part, this has been due to the effects of the pandemic; but, more problematically, the fact that the majority of the Society’s officers have been in post too long and will be stepping down at the AGM in July without, at this moment, any certainty about their being replaced, is a very serious cause for concern. The Society’s future is genuinely in doubt.
It is the wrought iron gates, melted down by the man charged with restoring them, in what an English Heritage spokesman called in 2007, ‘a clear case of cultural vandalism’, which shone a spotlight on these almshouses over fifteen years ago.
This romantic view of the almshouses depicting them as a rural retreat was gifted to the Archive in 2003 by David Frith. The image was reproduced by the Borough of …
This image is one of the postcards which the late Hugh Garnsworthy gifted to the Society. Postmarked 1904, the large, impressive building is softened by the presence of the two little girls in their clean white pinafores in the foreground.
This evocative image is on a postcard gifted to the Society by nonagenarian Edwin Monk whose book, Memories of Hornsey, was the first to be published by HHS in 1976. …
The Archive holds two copies of this photograph; one gifted by Bridget Cherry, HHS Vice President and architectural historian, and the other by Ken Gay, Muswell Hill’s historian and HHS …