The tower was built as part of the medieval church of St Mary when Hornsey was a small rural village in Middlesex. The lower part of the tower is medieval, and was probably completed around 1500.
Hornsey, established as a settlement in the pre-Conquest county of Middlesex, is a name with Anglo Saxon origins and derives from the Old English name Heringes-hege (with the ‘g’s pronounced as ‘y’s), meaning ‘the enclosure of Hering’ or ‘of Hering’s people’.
Today, all that remains of St Mary’s Church is its bell tower, standing in the former churchyard, a little back from Hornsey High Street. St Mary’s Tower is a focal point for the local community and a poignant reminder of the long history of this site as a place of worship.
By Elizabeth Cunningham and Frances Rust
Founded in 1859, Highgate Horticultural Society played a major role in the life of Highgate Village. A portrait of Highgate life over a period of 130 years.
By Joan Schwitzer
Our own story up to 1996, closely linked to The Old Schoolhouse which became our headquarters and shop in 1981. The Little School is a companion volume.
By Peter Curtis
An enduring best-seller. More than 100 old photographs of Wood Green, Tottenham, West Green and Harringay with captions that tell the story of Haringey in Victorian and Edwardian days.
The Bulletin first appeared in December 1973, only two and a half years after the Society was founded. It was a quarterly publication intended to reflect members’ research and lively interest in Hornsey’s past. The name was chosen for its association with brevity and urgency.
There had been talk of the need for a local history society in Hornsey as long ago as 1909 but despite early efforts nothing was achieved until 1971. On 29th April that year, in response to a poster designed and distributed by Margaret Gellay, a young local teacher, about fifty people attended a meeting in Hornsey Library.
The Bulletin catalogue contains details of the content of all previous issues of the Hornsey Historical Society Bulletin. Back copies still in stock are available to purchase. The catalogue is ordered chronologically, with the most recent editions at the top. The catalogue can also be downloaded as a PDF. If you click on the bookmarks icon in your PDF reader this will bring up a table of contents.
By John Hinshelwood
The Friern Manor Dairy building (now a restaurant) is renowned for the rare decorative panels that adorn it. This is their story and that of a local dairying family, beginning in the 1840s. An original piece of research with wonderful and rare illustrations.