The Collins Family

An article by David Frith

Wherever you are in Crouch End or Muswell Hill you are never more than a short distance from a house or building built by the Collins family.

Read more

Ever Heard of the Local Architect and Surveyor John Farrer?

An article by Janet Owen

John Farrer (1843-1930), a self-made Victorian entrepreneur who lived in Crouch End for forty years of his life, was responsible for designing over eighteen hundred houses and shops for seventy three roads in our area and he laid out fifteen estates for local landowners and builders.

Read more

Crouch End – Past & Present

A DVD by David Evans recording changes in Crouch End over the years using old views and video camera footage including interior views of Hornsey Town Hall and views from the Clock Tower.

Read more

The Town or Hamlet of Highgate

The story of a London village over 800 years

This DVD, originally a video, tells the fascinating story of Highgate’s development using rare images and archive documents brought together for the first time.

Read more

Hornsey Historical Society Maps for Sale

We sell reproductions of a number of historical maps of the area. Maps are in black & white unless otherwise stated. We send maps, rolled, in cardboard tubes at a cost of £4.00 for up to 4 maps (UK only). Overseas postage on request. We also sell copies of the popular Alan Godfrey  maps which are reprints of large scale Ordnance maps.

Read more

The Urbanisation of Hornsey

An extract from John Farrer The Man who Changed Hornsey by Janet Owen

London was sucking in people from the countryside as its industrial strength grew throughout the nineteenth century and its dramatic increase in population shaped the growth of Hornsey parish. People of all social classes arrived in the capital and the population exploded from 959,310 in 1801, to 2,808,494 in 1861, to become 4,521,685 by 1911.

Read more

The Parish of Hornsey

An article by John Hinshelwood

The land ownership and holdings of early manors (see The Manor and Sub-Manors of Hornsey) probably defined the borders of Hornsey Parish which contained the bishop of London’s Manor and the Prebendal Manor of Brownswood. To the north of the parish was Friern Barnet and Finchley, both part of the Bishop’s great estate.

Read more

The Manor and Sub-Manor of Hornsey

An article by John Hinshelwood

The Manor of Hornsey was said in 1294 to have been part of the Bishop of London’s manor of Stepney from time immemorial. The bishop also claimed that his predecessors had held Finchley and Friern Barnet as a part of their manor of Fulham until its transfer to the bishop’s lordship of Hornsey in 1491. 

Read more